Who Is Entitled To Help With A funeral

You may receive help if there is not enough money to pay for the funeral and you are responsible for making the funeral arrangements and you or your partner are receiving any of the following benefits:

Income Support

Housing Benefit

Family Credit

Council Tax Benefit

Armed Forces


Check what amount of money is available from the estate of the person who has died, such as money from bank or building society accounts. Any insurance policies or charities, lump sum payments made by a pension scheme or relatives, (either yours or those of the person who has died) Any savings you have in a bank or building society, National Savings (including certificates and premium bonds) or in cash at home. The savings may be in your name or the name of your partner, but please rest assured that we will advise as best as we can for you and the deceased.
The Widows Payment of does not count as savings. The social fund may make a contribution towards the cost of a simple funeral within the United Kingdom. This includes:
Bringing the body home if the person died away from home
but within the United Kingdom
The Death Certificate
A standard coffin
The Hearse for the coffin and bearers
Flowers from the person who is arranging the funeral
Contribution towards fees of funeral director, Chaplain and organist fee for simple funeral
Cemetery fee or Crematorium fee
Doctors fees

Visit us on Facebook